20060316

"I didn't become a journalist to serve my country; I became a journalist to serve the story. Dying for my country was not as noble as dying for the truth."
-Jackie Spinner
(Washington Post Journalist -- Cited from her book.)
-While speaking to journalism students at UCBerkeley-

C.I.R. Press Editorial

Just curious, which Country gives you the "freedom of the press"?

Last time I checked it was the Country with the Constitution of the United States of America that gives us the freedoms we love. I think it would be great if she and all journalists took a look at the oath to become an American Citizen:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the armed forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when
required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

Huh, for the damn liberal journalists that declare, sue, and hide behind the Constitution... they seem to forget that this document makes the country great when the people stand behind it. Should she feel that is not her duty I would like her thrown on her ass out of this country.

Some of us in this great country even go a step further:

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."


Replace her with an immigrant that is pleading to become a U.S. citizen. It is those that LEGALLY immigrate to the U.S. that actually understand how great this country truly is. They are willing to spend years on a waiting list, learn more US History than most history professors know, and declare their allegiance. I have seen friends go through the process… watching it, especially as she said the oath in Federal Court with tears running down her face. A real American! Jackie not so much.

-md