20060924

President Clinton on FNS (HUGE UPDATE)


C.I.R. Press Editorial

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today on Fox News Sunday my former CINC got a little worked up. I am not going to bother going in to the details of the entire interview. I just have a simple point to make that I thought of while watching President Clinton. My point here is not to quarrel that Clinton or President Bush did or did not do more. It is a slightly different one, and Brit Hume stole my thunder.

Today we argue over Constitutional rights for these terrorists, bring them to trial. On the first attack on the WTC President Clinton treated this as a law enforcement issue, which is really the biggest bone to pick with him I have ever had regarding this issue. The ’93 attack was not a crime; it was in deed an act of war. This should have been handled from the start by going after and killing terrorists. Not bringing them to trial.

I repeat, terrorist attacks around the world are not “crimes” that belong in the same court as a civil murder investigation. They are acts of war and a far different stance needs to be followed.





I understand that Clinton tried to kill Osama, but I regret that as I said in general it was far more of a law enforcement issue. Personal opinion is that it warranted going to full war.

-md


Chris Wallace's "hit job" on Clinton, excuse me, Rumsfeld! (h/t Hot Air)
Osama and al Qaeda not involved in Somalia? (h/t Hot Air)

(UPDATE 1) What was Wallace's reaction to the interview?
As he leaned forward--wagging his finger in my face--and then poking the notes I was holding--I felt as if a mountain was coming down in front of me.

(UPDATE 2) President Clinton acknowledges on Meet the Press that he realizes the need to, essentially, torture in certain circumstances. In a hypothetical scenario he described what must be done to people who have knowledge:

“We know there is a big bomb going off in America in three days, we know this guy knows where it is we know we have the RIGHT and RESPONSIBILITY to BEAT IT OUT OF HIM ... we all know what we’d do to keep our country from going through another 9/11.

Going on to speak about how the new legislation should contain a portion of law that gives the President the right to pardon such a thing if it must take place! Dare I say it, but his charm is beginning to get to me. President Clinton seems to have more sense in that head than Warner, McCain, and Graham combined concerning the issue (that or to preserve his legacy he wants to appear hawkish on terrorism). And he has this crazy concept of not writing down what we will and won’t do, but basically keep it CLASSIFIED.